Please, turn off any ad blocker for this site. We have attempted to keep ads as unobtrusive as possible, so, please, do your part to support us. Information about the ads can be found here.
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on LiveShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on YahooShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: SWTOR: Imperial Marine Corps  (Read 5873 times)

Offline Mint Julep

• Prolific Poster
  • And not a single fuck was given that day
    • Descent of Fire
Re: SWTOR: Imperial Marine Corps
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2011, 10:51:47 AM »
I just don't think I could ever take the name "Darth Ahis" seriously. Like. At all.

It would be like trying to do legitimate rp with Blubblub or Liberties for those of you that remember those characters. I just couldn't do it without laughing myself silly IRL.

Quote from: Lazo
Got 9+ inches here today. Still comin'.Makes me happy to see it.
Quote from: Sho
Cause Nothing says "I really dig you and think we should take things to the next level, like date rape."

Offline Songlian

• Forum Marauder
  • I have abandonment issues.
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2011, 11:21:36 AM »
I would just always associate Darth Ahi with the group from Galaxies. Not because I was being a bitch but because there's extensive RP history there. Either way I find this whole conversation slightly amusing. The roleplay community is relatively small. This is one of those moments that most roleplayers dread happening. The classic, "HEY-THAT'S-MY-NAME scenario." I understand Sirovv that it's not your character and you have no relation to it, but making the other party aware couldn't hurt. Ultimately it's his choice whether or not he wants to leave the name as is. However, it might not be a bad idea to give him a heads up.

Furthermore ... I would have liked to see this happen to someone else with extensive RP history in the community. It would have been interesting to see their reaction.

Offline Mint Julep

• Prolific Poster
  • And not a single fuck was given that day
    • Descent of Fire
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
I would just always associate Darth Ahi with the group from Galaxies. Not because I was being a bitch but because there's extensive RP history there. Either way I find this whole conversation slightly amusing. The roleplay community is relatively small. This is one of those moments that most roleplayers dread happening. The classic, "HEY-THAT'S-MY-NAME scenario." I understand Sirovv that it's not your character and you have no relation to it, but making the other party aware couldn't hurt. Ultimately it's his choice whether or not he wants to leave the name as is. However, it might not be a bad idea to give him a heads up.

Furthermore ... I would have liked to see this happen to someone else with extensive RP history in the community. It would have been interesting to see their reaction.

I can imagine a great many that wouldn't find it nearly as humorous if it had been their name selected either accidentally or purposefully.

Quote from: Lazo
Got 9+ inches here today. Still comin'.Makes me happy to see it.
Quote from: Sho
Cause Nothing says "I really dig you and think we should take things to the next level, like date rape."

Offline K

• Dark Lord of the Forums
  • A better class of asshole.
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2011, 12:29:58 PM »
Truthfully, it's downright rude.
"What have we got- a Republic, or a Monarchy?"
"A Republic, if you can keep it."

Offline That One Dead Trooper

• Forum Graul
  • Addicted to the drama
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2011, 01:03:56 PM »

So like, the trolling was funny but now but this conversation has been blown waaay out of proportion. It's brewing into shitstorm that is getting pretty stupid, even for SSG standards. Now I can understand irritation with the similarities in names (despite there being a pretty obvious 'S' at the end) but I see in this thread some pretty heated posts over something so trival. Honestly people, there are better things to get worked up about.

Sirovv has already stated that he isn't the one who created the name and if we put our hate aside for one second, we can infer
that the actual holder of the name probably wasn't intentionally trying to steal the fabled Ahi name. We can conclude this by:

1- As mentioned before there is an S.
2- There is an 'Darth' in the name. So Ahis obviously isn't a last name. Ahi happens to be a last name. Big difference.
3- Future potential Darth Ahis has yet to make a comment in this thread, there could be many reasons for this but we can guess that they have little to no clue of the issue concerning the name, unless Sirovv told them.
4- There are only like three characters in the Ahi name. OH GOD *gasp* it's impossible for someone to accidenly use those exactly same three characters, next to each other. If I made a character named Ahiu / Ahil would that suddenly be stealing be stealing the infamous Mando last name?
5- Character is a Sith, not Mandalorian. Besides the three letters there is nothing here that suggests Darth Ahis was copying -anything-.

The Ahi don't care who did what.  Change it.

??? I don't know whether you're trolling or not (judging from your later posts I would assume you aren't) but if I accidently chose a name similar to someone's toon and then they presented me with this sort of demanding attitude? I would not change a damn thing for them.

Wouldn't the better route have been to send pms instead of advertising this little issue across the OP's thread? Because from my perspective it certainly seems like you're trying to start drama for the hell of it.

THIS MADNESS IS NOT LEGITIMATE...yet.
Damn people, we don't even know if Darth Ahis intentionally copied the name. Maybe wait for a response from the owner of the name before you pass judgement? The moment they see all this hate I'm sure they'd be more than willing to change the name. If they don't and have an attitude about it? Then that's a different story. But still, it's not like the name Ahi or any variation of it can only be used by certain people. While it's a dick move for someone to steal another's name, sometimes you have just ignore and deal with it.

Also, the main topic seems to be concerning the name, Darth Ahis, so why are we rashing on the guild's name and the guild in general? I will be the first to admit Imperial Marine Corps is a pretty uncreative and generic name... but who really cares? That's their choice as guild leader.

So yeah, I support trolling this thread and any others because it's fun and that's the only use Starsidergalaxy is for these days but when it turns into actual drama I gotta laugh and butt in. Though it doesn't seem that way, I'm assuming the Ahis are just trolling. Or... I could be wrong.

Does my opinion count or does anyone care? Nope and probably not. But don't care. Posted it anyways.

Now I am going to go back to lurking and watching how this unfolds.

$0.02
Ignorance is the flame that will consume us all.

Offline Lexija

• Prolific Poster
  • If by 'dodged a bullet' you mean "got your penis
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2011, 03:39:48 PM »
Truthfully, it's downright rude.

How can you possibly say it's rude...? It would be rude if it was intentional, but Ahis is a Turkish name, or so Google tells me. Do you have any  idea how many variations of Lexi there were in SWG? Were they rude, or was I rude to them, just because we had similar ideas for a character name?

Furthermore,
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Korris

Are you rude for stealing the name of a Klingon?

Let's not get ridiculous here.

Also, I agree with everything That One Dead Trooper said.

Offline Elkesi

• ISC
  • Your opinion is wrong and mine is right.
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2011, 03:48:04 PM »
I agree with the Dead guy, he said many things that fell most pleasingly on my...eyes.

"There are no secrets in life, just hidden truths, that lie beneath the surface."

Offline K

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
How can you possibly say it's rude...? It would be rude if it was intentional, but Ahis is a Turkish name, or so Google tells me. Do you have any  idea how many variations of Lexi there were in SWG? Were they rude, or was I rude to them, just because we had similar ideas for a character name?

Furthermore,
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Korris

Are you rude for stealing the name of a Klingon?

Let's not get ridiculous here.
Also, I agree with everything That One Dead Trooper said.

I was responding to Lamy's post. Get your knickers out of a wad.

Offline Lexija

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2011, 03:54:15 PM »
I was responding to Lamy's post. Get your knickers out of a wad.

Which changes absolutely nothing at all about my post. Grats on falling back on the equivalent of "get back in the kitchen" in attempt to minimize my point though.

Offline K

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2011, 03:59:24 PM »
Which changes absolutely nothing at all about my post. Grats on falling back on the equivalent of "get back in the kitchen" in attempt to minimize my point though.

I said nothing about you getting back in the kitchen, or anything else in any way shape or form to demean or undermine you as a person. If nothing else, you do that yourself. Every single post or comment which doesn't agree with you is somehow sexist or derogatory towards women.

Offline Lexija

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2011, 04:10:01 PM »
I said nothing about you getting back in the kitchen, or anything else in any way shape or form to demean or undermine you as a person. If nothing else, you do that yourself. Every single post or comment which doesn't agree with you is somehow sexist or derogatory towards women.

Not even remotely. I just call them like I see them. Panties in a wad/knickers in a twist refers to female underwear causing women to act bitchy because their underwear is pinching their ladybits. It is a targeted female snipe and therefore quite unwelcome, especially when my post was not insulting towards you in any way. That sort of comment would constitute sexual harassment in the workplace, FYI.

Offline K

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2011, 04:20:20 PM »
Not even remotely. I just call them like I see them. Panties in a wad/knickers in a twist refers to female underwear causing women to act bitchy because their underwear is pinching their ladybits. It is a targeted female snipe and therefore quite unwelcome, especially when my post was not insulting towards you in any way. That sort of comment would constitute sexual harassment in the workplace, FYI.

You're really getting agitated over nothing, you know. It's slang for underwear. Yes, women's underwear is called knickers, but the same thing is said to men too. Whatever, you were just looking to pick a fight and jump up and down and scream sexisim again. And for your information, sexual harassment is as such: Sexual harassment, is intimidation, bullying or coercion of a sexual nature, or the unwelcome or inappropriate promise of rewards in exchange for sexual favors.

Let me clarify for you, since I didn't quote Lamy's post in my original. If you take someone's name and the reputation that it comes with, intentionally, IMO it's rude.

Offline Ostilio_Mereel

• FIXER
  • Forum Wookiee
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2011, 04:29:38 PM »
Then I look forward to tea bagging Darth Ahi in the near future.

;D

(Oh like none of the rest of you have ever had that desire...)

Offline Lexija

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2011, 04:35:22 PM »
And for your information, sexual harassment is as such: Sexual harassment, is intimidation, bullying or coercion of a sexual nature, or the unwelcome or inappropriate promise of rewards in exchange for sexual favors.

http://www.equalrights.org/publications/kyr/shwork.asp

Conduct Of A Sexual Nature

Many different kinds of conduct—verbal, visual or physical—that is of a sexual nature may be sexual harassment, if the behavior is unwelcome and if it is severe or pervasive. Here are some more examples:

Verbal or written: Comments about clothing, personal behavior, or a person’s body; sexual or sex-based jokes; requesting sexual favors or repeatedly asking a person out; sexual innuendoes; telling rumors about a person’s personal or sexual life; threatening a person

---

Basically, comments like "get your panties out of a wad" could be construed as a form of sexual intimidation, in the workplace. On a forum, it's equally unwelcome, especially when it comes from a person who once told me I didn't understand something because I was a whore too busy sucking dicks all day and should come up for air. I tend to have zero tolerance towards gender-oriented comments from a person after that.

Just sayin' man.

Done derailing, sry.

Offline K

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2011, 04:40:30 PM »
http://www.equalrights.org/publications/kyr/shwork.asp

Conduct Of A Sexual Nature

Many different kinds of conduct—verbal, visual or physical—that is of a sexual nature may be sexual harassment, if the behavior is unwelcome and if it is severe or pervasive. Here are some more examples:

Verbal or written: Comments about clothing, personal behavior, or a person’s body; sexual or sex-based jokes; requesting sexual favors or repeatedly asking a person out; sexual innuendoes; telling rumors about a person’s personal or sexual life; threatening a person

---

Basically, comments like "get your panties out of a wad" could be construed as a form of sexual intimidation, in the workplace. On a forum, it's equally unwelcome, especially when it comes from a person who once told me I didn't understand something because I was a whore too busy sucking dicks all day and should come up for air. I tend to have zero tolerance towards gender-oriented comments from a person after that.

Just sayin' man.

Done derailing, sry.

/sighs

Lexi, I'm so going to miss our little back and forths. Please tell me you'll keep in touch when TOR goes live :(