Please, turn off any ad blocker for this site. We have attempted to keep ads as unobtrusive as possible, so, please, do your part to support us. Information about the ads can be found here.
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on LiveShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on YahooShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: SSG is looking to the future  (Read 12212 times)

Offline Tziena

• Retired Roleplay Senator
  • Forum Facilitator
  • Dark Lord of the Forums
    • Circle of Ashla
SSG is looking to the future
« on: June 21, 2010, 09:12:09 PM »
It has been my strong contention for a long time to run SSG without ads. This was mostly based on the fact that ad filters sucked, they were very intrusive, and a site had to have a lot of ads to make any kind of money. With some of the additions, specifically Google AdSense, that has changed.

This year's bill is paid, by the way, so I thank all of you for that. Any money made from ads added to this site will be used to support the site for next year and possible upgrades we'll need when the server admins yell at me again. No, I'm not going to buy a boat. Also, I don't want you to click on ads just because you think it will help the site. I really appreciate the thought, but, please, only click on ads that you are interested in.

If you have any comments about the ads or any other suggestions, I will definitely reply to any private message I receive.
Saraii | Feral' | Tziena | Jerrai

Jedi | Witch | Wanderer | Mother

Offline Jen-

• Code monkey.
  • Technical Administrator
  • Forum Wampa
    • Minichan
Re: SSG is looking to the future
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 11:16:06 PM »
In the first few minutes of displaying ads I've heard many of you complain about it, which is completely understandable. However you have to understand that the existence of this site may very well depend on it. Donations have barely cut the costs this year, and we're going to need some upgrades which will increase the costs even more. Personally I don't find the ads being annoying at all. There is one under the first post, and one at the very bottom of the page.

Now, for the original intend of this post before I got sidetracked.

Adblockers
Now I'm sure many of you might think; Ooo, Adblocker, let's get rid of these annoying ads, but I would like to ask you to think twice about that. This will only mean that the ads will be up longer for the other users who do not do such, as they will be removed for the remainder of the year once the required amount for the following year has been reached.

If you do decide to install it, go for it. But if you already have it, and wish to help this site out by showing ads, do read on.

There is an option in most, if not all, Ad Blockers to disable its functions for specific sites. It's called White Listing. It will disable the Ad Blockers functionality for that one site, and enable it for all other sites that have not been white listed.

For anyone running AdBlock Plus, the primary Firefox ad blocking extension, here's a quick gide on how to disable it or Whitelist a site.

P.s. Some of you seem to be thinking that the ads add strain to the server. This is simply not true. I won't be getting in the details.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 09:06:06 PM by Lisandra / Jen- »